94 Taurus Power Steering

This car has about 50K miles on it and now has no power assist on left turns. It ain't making any funny noises when turning but it feels like a 65 Nova I used to have. I have been planing all my trips to use routes that
only use right turns but my gas bill has increased by 100%. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:44:00 GMT, "DAVID IWAOKA"

It probaly has a failed control valve in the rack. The only fix is probably to install a reman long rack assembly. I would not install a short rack as the cost is too close and your inner sockets are probably also worn some. The long rack includes them and the reduced labor for installing the sockets should about offset any difference in rack cost. After replacement, you will need a wheel alignment - preferably a 4 wheel alignment.

Thanks for the info. I thought that would be the problem but you confirmed it. I think this job might be a little to much for me to do myself, looks like I got to come up with some bucks. Too bad. Thanks!
While on the subject, my '96 Taurus has difficulty turning if I'm coasting, But as soon as I touch the gas the power steering returns. Any ideas?
Cecil

65
any