'94 TBird 4.6 : hi-pitched whine

'94 TBird LX V8, 67k mi.

When I start it in the morning, I hear a very hi-pitched whine/squeal from area of motor while car is parked. Been going on for quite some time.

I've replaced the belt-tensioner and idler pulleys. With new bearings in the pulleys, I guess it's more-or-less gotta be the alternator.

I put a long ratchet extension on alt. housing, open end in my po' ear: I do hear a grinding-like sound, but ...

Any way to confirm it's an alt. bearing?

If it is, how to proceed? Practical to rebuild my-own-self?

Etc, etc.

TIA, Puddin'

" ... and the bees made honey in the lion's head." - from "If I Had My Way", Blind Willie Johnson

Reply to
Puddin' Man

you can spin the alt with belt off to see if its noisy.. bad battery or connections, oose belt may cause squeal at startup. ive seen big batteries that were bad,but enough in them to start dog on an alt.

ds549