94 Tbird 4.6: hi-pitched whine

When I start/run my 94 Tbird 4.6 (67k mostly city mi.) cold, I hear a hi- pitched whine sound from the area of the alternator. It's been doing this for years. Seems to go away after driving a distance. A service guy said it sounded like the rectifier (in the alt.). Someone else intimated that this model made such sound right out the showroom.

Any tests or indications for a faulty rectifier? I'll be going on a little road trip next month.

Thx, Puddin

Puddin' Man

Tom

My 95 4.6 T-Bird LX original alternator is quiet at 78,000 miles. Most Fords of this vintage have noisy power steering pumps due to worn out fluid. If the fluid is black it's too late.

Steve N2UBP

Reply to
Steve Stone

Reply to
Tom

Noise in adjacent area mistaken for one thing when it is really some place else???

If you think it is the alternator then replace it. I've never had very good luck with rebuilt units.

Tom wrote:

Reply to
Steve Stone

I had a '93 T-BirdLX with the 4.6...Overall for me I had very limited problems with it with the exception of the notorious brake issue (constant warped rotors, until I found out how to beat that) and sold it in '03 with

211K miles on it. I replaced the Alternator at about 100K, so it might be time for yours.

FYI - The other thing I will tell you about those t-birds with that engine, is to make sure you start keeping an eye on your coolant levels at about that mileage. If they mysteriously start to drop (a little at first) with no leaks visible, start saving for a head gasket job. It happens on 90% of all T-birds & Windstars with that engine...I was meticulous with maintenance and mine blew at 111K. I did love that car though as it was my first new car and it had a real nice ride.....I actually miss it a little. Only got rid of it because I had a baby and I kind of really needed 4 doors. If I had kept it, I'm sure the backseat would be the origin of any hi-pitched whine sound going on.... :)

IYM

Reply to
IYM

What was your fix for the brake rotor warp issue? I thought the head gasket issue was more with the 3.8 V6, rather than the 4.6 V8, however you could have issues with cracked intake manifolds on the 4.6 from 96 and 97 when they switched from all metal intake to plastic?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

Whoops - You are absolutely right about that. I had the smaller 3.8 V6 and got a F-150 in '99 with the 4.6 V8. I mixed up my engines and vehicles. My bad and my apologies....What I stated is true IF you have the

3.6L...Sorry..... After warping the rotors so often, I found that if I used a softer, faster wearing pad, never, ever cut the rotors, and changed the pads when only halfway worn, it kept the rotors from warping. I changed the pads myself and they cost about $30 each time and got it down to about 30 minutes of my time, but it saved my rotors...

IYM

Reply to
IYM

Too late for what?

The whine comes NOT from the PS. But my fluid looks black.

You are perhaps saying that, if the PS fluid is black and hasn't been changed, it's like tranny fluid, don't change it, just run with it?

If the PS fluid is changable, what to replace it? Mercon 5?

Puddin' Man

I the PS pump is noisy and the fluid is black there is a good chance there is some internal damage to the PS pump.

Consider yourself lucky.

The owners manual for my 95 T-Bird LX 4.6 says to use Type F transmission fluid in the PS pump. The forums at the TCCOA web site suggests if the pump is noisy try the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF that is compatable with type F fluid, not the Mercon V fluid.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Thanks.

When i just peeked into the cheapo PS tank, it looked black. I pulled a sample for closer look today: it's dark but still mostly red. Smelled a little funny but not burned. Felt just like normal atf. I guess it's ok.

As to the whine, I assume that it is "Just What This Alternator Do" per Tom.

Cheers, P

Puddin' Man