94 TBird: Brake maintenance

Re: 94 TBird: Brake maintenance
94 Tbird LX V8, 58k mi.
Front brakes have maybe 12k mi. on newer Raybestos pads and should be OK.
For years, I go to the garage, start the TB cold, and
hear a nasty screeching from brakes as I pull out. It always went away after I drove about 1/10 mi.
I pulled the left rear wheel this morn. The drum and hub (brake) mechanism didn't look too bad but there was a ton of particulate crud in there. The linings weren't wearing perfectly evenly but were not worn too thin anywhere (minimum thickness was close to 3/16 ").
What's proper maintenance in this situation? I just brushed the hub and drum stuff off, shot some brake cleaner on the lining surface and wiped it off. I don't have a compressor. Should I have blasted everything with brake cleaner? Should I lubricate anything??
TIA, Puddin'