94 thunderbird question

I have a 94 t-bird lx 3.8 liter it was running great i pulled in for a pack of smokes came out and it would not start any suggestions on what i should check i'm amusuming it's something electrical.

"l" wrote

Stop smoking in the car. It's bad for you and the car obviously doesn't like it.

Other than that, does the engine spin when you turn the key? Do you hear the fuel pump buzz for a second when you turn the key to "on"?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

the engine spins and I do hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on

How about spark? I've had this happen before and would check for spark without using any tools, while someone cranked the motor.

There's probably a fundamentally safe way of going about this on your own but maybe one of the techs on the forum can explain the procedure better. Live spark in the engine compartment is probably not a good thing if there are any gas fumes present.

If no spark I would suspect the TFI, or thin-film ignition module, a common point of failure on Ford ignition systems. Assuming this motor has one...

Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

Well, from your description, I have to say there is something wrong with the car.

Seriously, does the engine crank? Spark? Fuel? Does it sputter then die?

Rodney

Reply to
rodney

I have an 87 Tbird, with the 3.8V6. Same thing happened to me once. Turned out it was the distributor. Replaced it and it ran fine afterwards.

Now, if I could only figure out what was causing the misfire it has. Runs smooth at idle and under acceleration. Have checked plug wire connections. Dumped FI Cleaner in the gas. Don't know if it is electrical or fuel related or if it is a valve sticking sometimes.

Good luck with your Bird!

~ ~ ~ Gerri ~ ~ ~

Reply to
Gerri