94 Tuarus Fuel Guage

Is it normal that when my fuel gauge is near E, that I still have 3 or 4 gallons left? I filled up today and only put in 11 gallons, but my manual
says I have a 16 gallon tank. Is the extra fuel to accommodate the "1/4 tank rule" that I've heard helps keep electric fuel pumps from burning out?

Yes
No
Like the base point of your question ("when my fuel gauge is near E") the fuel gauge on american cars is not and never has been all that accurate.
It's only meant for relative reading.
If you look at a sender, you'll understand why.
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!

Thanks for the info. I guess I've never noticed, but with gas prices what they are, I try to "play the market" to save that $1 or so a week.