94 Tuarus Fuel Guage

Is it normal that when my fuel gauge is near E, that I still have 3 or 4 gallons left? I filled up today and only put in 11 gallons, but my manual says I have a 16 gallon tank. Is the extra fuel to accommodate the "1/4 tank rule" that I've heard helps keep electric fuel pumps from burning out?

Reply to
<j

Yes

No

Like the base point of your question ("when my fuel gauge is near E") the fuel gauge on american cars is not and never has been all that accurate.

It's only meant for relative reading.

If you look at a sender, you'll understand why.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the info. I guess I've never noticed, but with gas prices what they are, I try to "play the market" to save that $1 or so a week.

Reply to
Jared