95 Escort front strut rubber boots torn - replace question

Is this an indication that the strut(s) need to be changed? What is the average life span of a strut on a compact car? How do I inspect to make sure the strut are fine without removing them? Should I change
the spring(s) when replacing the strut(s)?
Appreciate any help
Sam
"

no
depends on how it's driven and what the state of your roads are like

the car should "bounce" 1 1/2 times when given a good push down on each corner, no clunks or wandering when driving over bumps
>Should I change the spring(s) when replacing the strut(s)?
only if they're broken or the car sits too low, change struts and springs in pairs
hope this helps
Our 94 Escort LX is at about 125K miles. Still on original struts and springs, and they seem to be holding up OK. Amazingly enough, still on the original exhaust system and clutch as well! Overall, the best car I've ever owned in terms of freedom from major repair/replace issues for so long. But don't forget to change your timing belt ! Recommended interval is 60K. Mine lasted about 105K on the 1.9 liter SOHC engine.