95 escort LX Wgn- "Room Fuse" blows & Shift LocK Actuator Prob

Hello I have a 1995 ford Escort LX 1.9L wagon with 60K miles on it, automatic transmisson.. About 5 years ago I replaced the ford radio with an AIWA MP3 player from Crutchfields and it worked fine until 2
weeks ago.
Now , frequently after I park the car and later try to restart the car, I find that the "Room Fuse" is blown and after I have started the motor and stepping on the brake, I can NOT get the car out of park into drive nor into reverse.
It seems that when I press the button on the gear shift, it will NOT go all the way in so that I can shift into gear. I do hear a relay click when I try to push this button on the gearshift in.
The Haynes ford repair manual says the shift interlock system is also feed by the "room fuse circuit"
I pulled out the MP3 player and put it on the passenger seat and streatched out the cables looking for shorts, found none. I did this This because the MP3 player is conected to both the "Radio" fuse and also the "room Fuse",. I tried disconnecting the ford/cruthfield cables from the back of the MP3 player but that does Not prevent the Room Fuse from Blowing
A fellow from the auto parts store said the "break light switch may be defective and shorting out the "room Fuse circuit" Do anyone know how to remove the "under dash panel" which conceals the "break light switch" ??
Also any general ideas on what may be causing the room fuse to blow regularly when the ingnition is turned off after I have been for a drive?
many thanks stephen snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
That would be the BRAKE light switch. It is usually mounted nearer the hinged end of yuor brake pedal where you can't kick it. Don't know about the panel, grab a flashlight, lay down and look. IF that switch werwe shorting to ground, it may be sending a hot line direct to ground, thus the blown fuse. Brake lights aren't wired through the ignition switch circuit. ( so your brake lights work even if you hot wire the critter to get home--it is an old safety precaution)

Hello George thanks for your advice, I kind of thought it was the brake light switch, I bought a new switch from Autozone today and will give it a try to replace it