95 escort wagon- stalls at idle after new spark plugs and wires...

I bought a 95 escort about 6 months ago, and the owners said it runs fine (test drove and it did), but the check engine light at that time came on and went off intemittently. it started staying on all the time a few weeks ago, and just yestersay, the engine idle dropped really low and then stalled. It has since stalled ever time, until this morning when I replaced the spark plugs with platinum Bosche 4 ground prongs, and replaced the plug wires with premium Autolite wires. The car ran fine this morning on the way to work, and the checnk eng light actually stayed off for a while! but then it stalled again after low/rough idle, and has stalled every time i come to a stop (5 speed man). my question is, what should i look at next, the coil pack or ign module?

Reply to
Randymazz

You should "next" look at the thing you should have looked at first, which is the codes being reported. This doesn't sound like an ignition problem at all.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

I had a 95 that did that once. Get the engine codes and post them here, but before you do that look at the intake tube, the one that goes from the air box to the throttle body, it's about two inches wide you can't miss it. Look for any holes or cracks in the tube, top and bottom. Too much unmetered air will do what you are describing. Easy fix if you find it leaking. Duct tape it until you get a new one (ASAP).

Reply to
sleepdog