95 EXPLORER SUSPENSION

My wifes above mentioned auto seems to be sagging in the left rear by about

1/2 inch to possibly 1 inch. I've seen coil springs get weak but I've never seen leaf springs go weak.

Any Ideas? Would leaf springs get weak?

TIA

Jack Atlanta, GA

Reply to
JACK

Yes.

You have a good eye if you can see 1/2" difference. I think the Ford specs allow at least that much.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

(Insert bon-bon joke here!)

Reply to
DJ

I don't really have that great of an eye. My wife said it was riding funny, almost left rear low. So I parked it on level ground and used my hands as measurers. The left rear is in fact slightly low.

Years ago, I took a 91 Explorer to get an alignment and they told me that they couldn't align it becuase they don't make a shim kit that large. After talking to the Mgr, he told me to replace the spring on the right front and all should be well. I questioned why and we walked out to the vehicle and he told me to put my fist vertically on top of the tire and shim it with my other hand until it touches the body of the vehicle. Then he told me not to reposition my hands, but to transfer them to the other side exactly as I have them, and sure enough they wouldn't fit under the wheel well. I replaced the spring and all problems were solved. It aligned beautifully. And BTW, I replaced the spring myself, I didn't pay them to do it. So it wasn't a money maker for them. I know those tricks.

I just didn't know if leaf springs could sag.

TIA

Jack

Reply to
JACK