95 F150 Temp Gauge Problem

1995 Ford F150 6 cylinder 4.9L
My temperature gauge on the dash has been stuck on COLD for about a year. The heater produces hot air no problem. I changed the thermostat anyway,
but it didn't make any difference. So when my mechanic was doing some other work on the engine, I asked him to change the temperature sending unit and check the wires for damage while he had the truck on the lift.. He changed the temp sending unit and he said the wires looked OK visibly. However the needle still is stuck on COLD no matter how long I drive it. The engine runs fine, and there is no evidence of overheating. I would just like to get the temp gauge to work, so I can monitor things better on this old truck.
I am wondering if there is any electrical connection in the steering column (clockspring or ignition switch) that could be broken, and cause the temp gauge needle to malfunction. The reason that I say this, is because there seems to be a lot of "up and down" play in the steering wheel.
Any insight into what would be a likely cause?
Thanks,
Gary
I used to own a car that had two temp sensors, one for the computer, one for the gauge. Do all the other gauges work ? |

I addition to the temperature gauge, the gauges for the two fuel tanks have always been unreliable, sometimes working and sometimes not. All the other gauges seem to work.
There is another temperature sensor that is located next to the thermostat. I believe that this is the one that you refer is for the computer. I don't imagine that it affects the temperature gauge on the dash in any way.
Gary