95 ford escort sputters when at 55+

my 95 escort sputters and jolts when it is at 55 and over then the check engine light comes on. I have no idea what it is and we have change the fuel filter and check the spark plugs and wire checked the fuel pump and
it isnt any of those things can someone please help me Renee
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:36:54 -0500, Nay_Nay wrote:

What are the codes? Your car is not OBDII but it still stores diagnostic codes.
Rodney
-

Check spark plug wires condition. If you don't have an ohm meter. In the dark with the engine running spray a mister bottle of water over the wires & watch for the light show. No light show & no changes in engine running, wires are "ok" enough to proceed to other checks.
Clean gas? Clean fuel/Air filters? All connections clean and tight? Check under distributer cap for signs of arcing (when we were being jokers in school we'd draw pencil lines on friends distributor caps)
Hours of fun ;-)
we already checked the spark plugs and wires the code says stuff like check injecters and spark plugs etc. and it is all fine
How did you check them?

My friends father is a mechanic and he tested them
i also realized today that when it actually acts up it is right after I put gas in it