95 Ford F150

My ex-wife has a 1995 f150 that has a gas pedal that sticks. I told her to drive in and get the cable replaced but she looked at it and thinks that she
can change it.
My question is... is this something easy to do?
John
"CPQ" wrote: ( 1995 Ford F150 )
The gas pedal sticks on my ex-wife's truck. I told her to get the cable replaced by a mechanic but she looked at it and thinks she can change it. Is this something easy to do? __________________________________________________
Even when it's easy it's not easy, because of the body contortions required to do the job. In general a throttle cable is installed by:
1.) Squeeze under the front seat. Disconnect the cable from the accelerator pedal and release the cable housing from its clamp. Be sure there is nothing to prevent the housing from being pulled through the firewall.
2.) Climb on top of the engine to get near the throttle. Remove the air cleaner for access. Disconnect the old cable from the throttle lever and release the old cable housing from its clamp. Pull the old housing out of the firewall hole and discard it.
3.) Connect the new cable to the throttle lever and install the new cable housing in its clamp. Insert the end of the new housing through the firewall hole.
4.) Squeeze under the front seat. Install the new housing in its clamp. Connect the new cable to the accelerator pedal.
5.) Start the engine and confirm smooth cable operation.
6.) Reinstall air cleaner.
Before I would proceed with replacement of the cable by a mechanic or by myself, I would do everything in my power to free up the existing cable. I would check the return spring on the throttle. I would put some oil drops at both ends of the housing and exercise the cable. I would detach the cable end from either the throttle lever or the accelerator pedal and see if it moves freely by itself. With the cable free I would wiggle the accelerator pedal and the throttle lever to be sure they were not binding.
Good luck.
Rodan.
Thanks for you help. I will give it to my ex. John