95 ford taurus shut off problem

Hello,

my gf has a 95 ford taurus.

Problem is that the car won't shut off anymore by turning the ignition key to the off position. (I killed it pulling the coil wire.). Also all electrical "systems" seem to stay on.

We replaced the ignition kkey cylinder, but that didn't help (ll problems still the same).

Does the ignition key "activate" a relay or so that switches everything on or off ? (Just an idea...)

Anyone had this problem before ?

thanks

Ron

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

The lock cylinder just pushes/pulls a rod that goes down along the steering column to the actual switch under the dash. It could be that the rod has come loose, or the switch is faulty.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The lock cylinder is no more than just that - a lock. It is attached to a rod that goes down to the ignition switch attached to the side of the steering column behind the dash. That is your probable problem. Remove the lower cover from the column and the lower instrument panel to find it and the operating rod. If you are not mechanically adept and patient, you probably should defer this repair to a competent tech.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut