95 Ford Taurus would not start

Bought a 95 Taurus 8 months ago at 78,000 miles. It was running well and I've put 16,000 more mile on it.
Today noticed a little hesitation while starting the engine. Then it
completely refuses to start after 3 or 4 stops. The battery seems to be ok. All the lights are on while turning on the ignition. But nothing is happending after a short (2 seconds) low deep sound. The engine is not cranking at all. Maybe the starter goes bad?
The rainy season started about 1 month ago here in northern california. It's wetter and a little colder (not really cold, low 45) than before. Is the weather causing the engine problem?
Appreciate any of your tips!
BZ
Boming Zeng opined in

If the lights stay ON with the key in the cranking position, try cranking it with shifter in Neutral. Then trace the larger POS cable to battery and see if there's a relay.. using a test light (cheap at autoparts store) see if the large terminal has power (other test lead to frame) when key is in crank position. If not, see if small terminal does.. if it does it is that part.
If power on large terminal, check connections to starter and battery neg to engine block
If all seem good, your starter or starter solenoid is toast.
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

My 93 had a no start problem awhile back. It was the starter. Pulled it off and it was a cheap rebuild from the prior owner. Bad solenoid. It looked cheaper than the OEM and was loose in its housing.
Bob
Just went through this with my dad's 92 sable 3.8, no warning just wouldn't crank. After performing circuit tests I removed the starter and took it to a auto-electric place and they said that the brushes in the starter were completely worn out. With new brushes it starts like a champ again. One word of caution: the guy at the electric place said to never bang on the reduction style starters as you can easily break one of the permanent magnets inside and wreck the starter, lucky for me I didn't.

Sam Steele opined in

VERY GOOD INPUT!
How much did he charge?

Another good thought... if a solid rap, no whacking.. doesnt do it, it aint gonna help.
OTOH if it's the last resort, there really isnt much to lose.
he charged nothing as he is a friend.