95 ford thunderbird chugging

I recently had my check engine light come on and it called out the MAF, I replaced the Maf and it took care of the problem. I may have had a additional problem as I noticed before that the car would chug when stepping on the gas. After replacing the Maf it popped a code for a mis-fire on # 2. I replaced the plugs and dont have the code any more but now it pops a code for excessive EGR gasses. The car still misses when stepping on the gas especially when going up a hill. I was going to change the plug wires as I believe that the last time (previous owner) didnt replace all the wires, but only one or two (wire colors dont match) Im kinda at a loss on what to try next, and would like some ideas before I totally give up and take my chance with the local mechanic. Could this problem be caused from a vacuum problem or a fuel problem. My thunderbird is a 4.6 v8, I bought it used from a co worker who took pretty good care of the car and i'm pretty sure he had the EGR valve replaced prior to me buying it. It has 114,000 miles on it. I love the car and have not had any problems up to this point. I read about a program that can be loaded on a lap top for the OBD-II that shows more in depth anaylis. Can you explain a little about this and any help with troubleshooting this problem.

Reply to
Doug

I gotta '94 'Boid LX V8, 61k mi.

Plug wires on these motors can be a certified headache. Just don't last long enough (by my personal yardstick).

You changed the plugs? What'd the old electrodes look like? Dark(rich)? Near-white(lean)?? Been using fuel-injector- cleaner additive? Injectors clogged?

Your "computer" should be more accurate than mine. Hope it gives you accurate readings.

Cheers, Pudd>I recently had my check engine light come on and it called out the MAF, I

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Somehow those 2 lines don't go well together ;-)

Reply to
johanb

I have a 95 T-Bird LX with a 4.6 v8

63,000 miles. I bought the car new in 1995

The computer system is sensitive to electrical and magnetic noise. I tried using aftermarket plug wires once and it caused more problems then it was worth.

Typically the spark plug boots arc through to the heads causing all kinds of weird problems. Pull the wires for the misfire and carefully wrap the boots with black electrical tape. See if that fixes the problem. If it does fix the problem order a complete set of new factory sourced plug wires. There are some internet factory parts sites that charge less than your local dealer for parts.

Other electrical issues with this car include:

Poor wire / cable routing around the engine result in wire insulation wear thru and shorting to ground or significant wear of plastic parts like valve covers (passenger side rear, cables to starter, etc).

Black box for traction control , mounted under package tray in trunk is not shielded. Two way radios installed in the car cause it to act erratically and affects cruise control.

Switch mounted on side of tranny for gear selection can fail.

96 and 97 T-Birds have a slightly different computer / ignition module layout under the hood that has less chance of failing from plug wire issues. But then you have to fight the plastic intake cracking problem.
Reply to
Steve Stone

Reply to
Doug via CarKB.com

Reply to
Doug via CarKB.com

Check egr for leaking, check DPFE sensor,

Reply to
johanb

So are mine. I'm told it's normal. Always worth considering, 'tho.

Lotta work. Costs a bundle at the shop.

Many recommend fi-cleaner gas additive as preventative. Dunno if it'd help if they're already clogged. Doubt it'd hurt.

I dunno why plug wires are such a headache with these motors, but they are. Diagnostic quagmire.

I had to replace 'em with dealer-bought wires at 40K mi. Still OK at 61k. Tried after-mkt wires first: they didn't even fit properly, had to take 'em back.

They cost too much and they can be a pain to install, but I'd put a 100% dependable set of plug wires on it before doing any further diagnoses. Twist the old boot at the plug vigorously before trying to pull it off.

Good Luck, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Reply to
Doug via CarKB.com

I got Ford/Motorcraft wires from a dealer back around 2000. Seems like they were about $90. Labor to install might be something like $120 (oughta be $30 for my little dollar).

If there are truly good 3rd party wires on the market, I don't know about them. Someone else might have better info. Such things change from time to time and I only take a peek when I have a personal need.

I'd go with the Ford/Motorcraft wires just to avoid any further headaches.

Best, Pudd>Thanks for the advice, I'm going to change the wires, Do you have a specific

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Hey guys,

I put Bosch (best from AutoZone) on my CV with the 4.6 about 50k ago. They fit like originals and have been flawless so far. I know the "B" word is a bad one near a Ford, at least for plugs, but the wires looked and felt like top notch and have performed that way so far... Don't forget the Silicon Dielectric Grease...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

Reply to