95 ford thunderbird chugging

I recently had my check engine light come on and it called out the MAF, I replaced the Maf and it took care of the problem. I may have had a additional
problem as I noticed before that the car would chug when stepping on the gas. After replacing the Maf it popped a code for a mis-fire on # 2. I replaced the plugs and dont have the code any more but now it pops a code for excessive EGR gasses. The car still misses when stepping on the gas especially when going up a hill. I was going to change the plug wires as I believe that the last time (previous owner) didnt replace all the wires, but only one or two (wire colors dont match) Im kinda at a loss on what to try next, and would like some ideas before I totally give up and take my chance with the local mechanic. Could this problem be caused from a vacuum problem or a fuel problem. My thunderbird is a 4.6 v8, I bought it used from a co worker who took pretty good care of the car and i'm pretty sure he had the EGR valve replaced prior to me buying it. It has 114,000 miles on it. I love the car and have not had any problems up to this point. I read about a program that can be loaded on a lap top for the OBD-II that shows more in depth anaylis. Can you explain a little about this and any help with troubleshooting this problem.
I gotta '94 'Boid LX V8, 61k mi.
Plug wires on these motors can be a certified headache. Just don't last long enough (by my personal yardstick).
You changed the plugs? What'd the old electrodes look like? Dark(rich)? Near-white(lean)?? Been using fuel-injector- cleaner additive? Injectors clogged?
Your "computer" should be more accurate than mine. Hope it gives you accurate readings.
Cheers, Puddin'

The Spark plugs looked good with the exception they did appear white, I checked the gap of the ones i took out and they were pretty close to specs. I have not used any fuel additives but have wondered if a fuel injector could be causing the problem, Is there a way to clean them? Depending on what i get for answers will depend on where I go next. Thanks for the speedy reply. Doug
Puddin' Man wrote:

So are mine. I'm told it's normal. Always worth considering, 'tho.

Lotta work. Costs a bundle at the shop.
Many recommend fi-cleaner gas additive as preventative. Dunno if it'd help if they're already clogged. Doubt it'd hurt.

I dunno why plug wires are such a headache with these motors, but they are. Diagnostic quagmire.
I had to replace 'em with dealer-bought wires at 40K mi. Still OK at 61k. Tried after-mkt wires first: they didn't even fit properly, had to take 'em back.
They cost too much and they can be a pain to install, but I'd put a 100% dependable set of plug wires on it before doing any further diagnoses. Twist the old boot at the plug vigorously before trying to pull it off.
Good Luck, Puddin'

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to change the wires, Do you have a specific brand name that you would reccommend and what did you end up paying the dealer for the wires? I've checked the autoparts place and the cheapest is $50, and they go up from there. I dont have a problem with paying a little more if they are a dependable brand and will work. Thanks again I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Doug
Puddin' Man wrote:

I got Ford/Motorcraft wires from a dealer back around 2000. Seems like they were about $90. Labor to install might be something like $120 (oughta be $30 for my little dollar).
If there are truly good 3rd party wires on the market, I don't know about them. Someone else might have better info. Such things change from time to time and I only take a peek when I have a personal need.
I'd go with the Ford/Motorcraft wires just to avoid any further headaches.
Best, Puddin'

Hey guys,
I put Bosch (best from AutoZone) on my CV with the 4.6 about 50k ago. They fit like originals and have been flawless so far. I know the "B" word is a bad one near a Ford, at least for plugs, but the wires looked and felt like top notch and have performed that way so far... Don't forget the Silicon Dielectric Grease...
PoD

I've replaced the wires and it appears to have fixed this problem, i will give it a good road test tommorrow when I go to work. I can understand why they charge so much to change them as it was a real pain in the ass getting them to fit under the altenator, but certainly not $120 worth. I noticed some remanants of a homeless critter on the engine block area, makes me wonder if they might of helped them selves to a little bit of wire. I'm going to look the old wires over real good tommorrow. thanks again for the advice. Doug
Puddin' Man wrote:

but
Somehow those 2 lines don't go well together ;-)
I have a 95 T-Bird LX with a 4.6 v8 63,000 miles. I bought the car new in 1995
The computer system is sensitive to electrical and magnetic noise. I tried using aftermarket plug wires once and it caused more problems then it was worth.
Typically the spark plug boots arc through to the heads causing all kinds of weird problems. Pull the wires for the misfire and carefully wrap the boots with black electrical tape. See if that fixes the problem. If it does fix the problem order a complete set of new factory sourced plug wires. There are some internet factory parts sites that charge less than your local dealer for parts.
Other electrical issues with this car include:
Poor wire / cable routing around the engine result in wire insulation wear thru and shorting to ground or significant wear of plastic parts like valve covers (passenger side rear, cables to starter, etc).
Black box for traction control , mounted under package tray in trunk is not shielded. Two way radios installed in the car cause it to act erratically and affects cruise control.
Switch mounted on side of tranny for gear selection can fail.
96 and 97 T-Birds have a slightly different computer / ignition module layout under the hood that has less chance of failing from plug wire issues. But then you have to fight the plastic intake cracking problem.
Let me explain. He took pretty good care of the car and had maintenance done by a mechanic, that is where I think the two didnt go well together. I think the mechanic cut some corners as when i changed the spark plugs i had a difficult time getting the wire off number 4, when i pulled the plug it was a different manufacture than the rest. This led me to believe that the mechanic had cut some corners. The owner took good care of the car always clean inside and out. Thanks for questioning the way i put it as i thought about it after i sent it and thought i should of explained it better. So with that said do you have any good advice?
johanb wrote:

Check egr for leaking, check DPFE sensor,

done
think
was a

mechanic