95 Mustang "howls" at startup

Hey All,

I am in need of your expertise again as I have an issue I have never run across before. The car is a bone stock 1995 mustang GT with 5 speed trans, ~85k on the clock. When I start the car with clutch pedal depressed, it starts instantly and sounds great. Every once in a while, I get this horrible howling sound which at first I thought was the serpentine belt so I replaced belt, tensioner and idler pulley. Now I notice that if I let off the clutch the howling goes away and if I depress the clutch the noise usually comes back. This howling is only when the car has sat for a few hours, outside ambient temp is less than 70 degrees and usually lasts 2-10 seconds. I have no drivability issues and the howling is definitely intermittent. To me this sounds like a clutch issue so I am thinking it's possibly the throwout bearing? Are those prone to issues on this model? Am I way off course?

TIA,

Derek

Reply to
genius

No, you arent... pretty much the way I remember it on my 57 chev...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

actually other than the clutch pedal connection, I've run into a few of the

94-95 that "howl" when first started usually it traces back to the fan. but in your case I'd probably check the pilot bushing and/or level of gear lube in the trans. Sometimes the synchros can get a little dry and howl/whine until the lube spreads out. Especially if the car has hit a few deep water puddles, sometimes the self sealing vents don't. The pilot bushings (actually a bearing on your car) are know for running a little dry. they are a pain to lubricate. time to drop the tranny, any rear main seal issues while your at it, or O2 sensors?
Reply to
walt peifer

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't gotten to the trans fluid yet as I am waiting on a factory service manual. Maybe you can tell me what I need to know? What type of lube does the 5 speed use, 90 weight? How much does it hold? Does it have the drainbolt and checkbolt configuration?

TIA,

Derek

Reply to
genius

My manual says both manual and automatics use Mercon ATF.

Reply to
Richard

Forgot to mention the capacity (manual transmission) it's 5.6 pints or 2.6 litres

Reply to
Richard

Great Richard, thanks a ton for the info.

Derek

Reply to
genius