95 Mustang "howls" at startup

Hey All,
I am in need of your expertise again as I have an issue I have never run across before. The car is a bone stock 1995 mustang GT with 5 speed trans, ~85k on the clock. When I start the car with clutch pedal
depressed, it starts instantly and sounds great. Every once in a while, I get this horrible howling sound which at first I thought was the serpentine belt so I replaced belt, tensioner and idler pulley. Now I notice that if I let off the clutch the howling goes away and if I depress the clutch the noise usually comes back. This howling is only when the car has sat for a few hours, outside ambient temp is less than 70 degrees and usually lasts 2-10 seconds. I have no drivability issues and the howling is definitely intermittent. To me this sounds like a clutch issue so I am thinking it's possibly the throwout bearing? Are those prone to issues on this model? Am I way off course?
TIA,
Derek
snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com wrote:

No, you arent... pretty much the way I remember it on my 57 chev...
you pay..DEAL with it!

actually other than the clutch pedal connection, I've run into a few of the 94-95 that "howl" when first started usually it traces back to the fan. but in your case I'd probably check the pilot bushing and/or level of gear lube in the trans. Sometimes the synchros can get a little dry and howl/whine until the lube spreads out. Especially if the car has hit a few deep water puddles, sometimes the self sealing vents don't. The pilot bushings (actually a bearing on your car) are know for running a little dry. they are a pain to lubricate. time to drop the tranny, any rear main seal issues while your at it, or O2 sensors?
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't gotten to the trans fluid yet as I am waiting on a factory service manual. Maybe you can tell me what I need to know? What type of lube does the 5 speed use, 90 weight? How much does it hold? Does it have the drainbolt and checkbolt configuration?
TIA,
Derek
My manual says both manual and automatics use Mercon ATF.
--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Forgot to mention the capacity (manual transmission) it's 5.6 pints or 2.6 litres
--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Great Richard, thanks a ton for the info.
Derek