'95 Sable: "Trans Control Piston" & Lucas Trans Fix ?

Hello:

Have a '95 mercury sable with about 80,000 miles on it.

Have a bit of a transmission problem, I think.

Occasionally, when in DRIVE, from starting out, or already in motion, pressing on the accelerator does nothing. Engine runs fine, but apparently disconnected from transmission and/or drive wheels.

Has been diognosed as a broken (or stuck ?) "control piston" in the transmission, and that I should try adding Lucas Transmission Fix fluid to the transmission oil.

Also have been told that Ford changed this "control piston" from steel to Aluminum that year to save a few pennies, and hence the problems.

My question are;

a. what is this control piston ?

-does this sound like the likely cause ?

b. worth trying this Lucas product. ?

c. worth trying anything else ?

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Hi, Thanks for help; appreciate it.

What might you suggest for my apparently cracked accumulator piston ?

Does the "whole" transmission have to be taken off and "re-built" ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Since it has to come out of the car and disassembled, yes. Be prepared to pony up $2000 or so (give or take a few hundred).

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ