95 Taurus bad transmission

I have a 95 Taurus with 76k miles. I have always maintain the car's transmission religiously. I changed the trans fluid twice since I bought the car used with 32k miles. Now the trans shudders when going
from stop to first gear. There is no problem when going reverse. Changing the trans fluid did not help. I also added a can of so called trans "helper" fluid and it did not do anything. My mechanics told me yestesday that the trans is going bad and rebuilding it will cost $2200. He can also install a Ford rebuilt unit for $2600. I think it will be waste of money to rebuild the trans now. For a few thousand dollars more I can buy a used 2000 Taurus with much better improved trans. My question now is how long the trans can last with this shuddering problem. Please share your experience with me if you have experienced the same trans problem. thanks.
Steve
sounds like cluch bands sliping or oil presure low. Theres a hanes book that tells how to check oil presure. If the bands are sliping I think you can make an adjustment on them. assuming no abnormal use I dont see 76000 mile a big deal. that trans should go 150K -200K

sounds like the forward clutch piston has a crack and is losing pressure.this is not uncoomon on that transmission for this vintage.rebuilding would be an option but it sounds very $$$$ for the age of the vehicle.Who knows how long it will last in it's current condition.I guess it depends on how much the transmission is used but you could try to nurse it along.
The Taurus has an inherent trans problem,Ford put out a service notice out on it.Seems there is a pressure problem.which has an easy cure involving drilling a hole in the pump housing(all this according to the trans man that rebuilt my Taurus tranny...$1700. worth.My brother and others that have had a Taurus have had the same trans problem.