95 Taurus Electrics

Oh wise gurus, here I bring before you another problem (seems to be an annual event):

Twice in the past two weeks, I have not been able to start my car...when I turn the key, there is no response, no lights, nothing! All my radio presets go kaput.

The first time it happened, I thought I heard a kind of *plink* sound the first time I turned the key, but no response. After a moment's silent cursing, the car started right up. Tonight, I had to try about 5 times, and then it started OK. I have an after-market remote starter/keyless entry installed, and the doors unlocked fine, but then the totally dead thing.

Any thoughts?

Toni

Reply to
Toni from T.O.

Intermittent open cell in your battery. (replace the battery) Corroded battery cables ((did you clean all the battery posts?) bad or loose ground wires.

Do the headlights come on strong when you have no start? If so , it could be the ignition switch or someone screwed up the wiring when your remote start was put in.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

I replaced the battery a year ago...I hope not. Would I just replace it, or can it be tested?

Will do.

I don't know! If it happens again, I will check.

The remote started was put in 18 months ago. If the wiring had been screwed up, wouldn't problems have likely arisen before this?

Thanks, Bob! It's just so puzzling...the car resurrects itself. I'll have to call it Christine!

Toni

Reply to
Toni from T.O.

You can have it tested for free at many autoparts stores. You may still have some warranty on it if its weak. I had a battery on one of my Taurus that would intermittently stall the car and it would not restart until it sat for awhile. I was convinced it was NOT the battery. I changed the alternator, cables, and cleaned everything. It still would happen. I finally changed out the battery (exide) and all was well. I cannot say that's your problem though.

Vibrations or a lousy crimp that came loose could cause problems after the fact. If you turn the key and have no start and the headlights don't dim and are bright, this is an area i would look closely at.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

OK, I cleaned off the ground terminal. Hopefully that will fix it, as it was really acting up (or not, as it were) today. Thanks!

Reply to
Toni from T.O.