95 Taurus Front strut replace question

Tried to replace the front strut on 95 GL and could not separate the lower ball joint from the knuckle, the thing is loose and moves in the pinch joint, just cannot drop enough to free the knuckle from the lower arm.
Seems to bind due to radius travel.
As I was tired of struggling with it out in the sun, and I need the car tomorrow, I bolted it all back together.
Thinking about it, afterward, the only way might be to remove the lower arm chassis attaching bolt, loosen the lower arm strut nut, and pivot the arm down. Am I correct? This seems to have escaped whoever wrote the Autozone and Haynes instructions.
And why the heck would I have to separate the half shaft from the hub? Not like I'm moving the knuckle all that much.
I've previously done a Probe {93 - twice} and dont remember this kind of problem.
Any help or tips?
--
... enough to be dangerous

i use a 6 ft pry bar on the lower control arm to get it low enough. same going back together. lucas