95 taurus speedodometer problem

My 95 Taurus has a problem with the speedometer needle jumping . It will not hold a steady speed it always is moving back and forth around 5 miles+ or - what the speed is. Anyone know what to check for and how to go about fixing it Thanks

Reply to
Metsman58

It sounds to me like there could be a problem either with the speedometer cable or with the speedometer mechanical guage itself. It's just an old car. You can inquire to find out how much it costs to put on a working used unit but if it costs more than $50 I would suggest you just leave it as is and just drive the car until either the engine or the transmission quits. Or if it gets totalled in an accident or if it costs to much to fix something like CV joints, drive shafts, rusted floor pans, etc. In the end it's just a car. Try to get all the value/use you can get out of it without having to blow large sums of money away before it's time for the car graveyard.

You might want to take a closer look at the Ford Fusion or a Mercury Milan when the time is right.

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

And for $50 you can buy a GPS receiver that will show your speed more accurately than the speedometer anyway.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

What are you talking about? A TomTom GPS costs $600 USD Retail. Where do you live where you can get GPS for $50?

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Garmin eTrex.

$100.00 New, $50.00 to $70.00 like new on the street.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

If you need color graphic displays with mapping, etc. etc. then sure, you can spend $600.

If you need lat/long/altitude, waypoints, bearing, velocity info, all you need is a bottom-of-the-line receiver, which should be available in the $50-$60 ballpark on the secondary market. Heck, a brand new handheld is only about $90 or less. Search amazon.com if you don't believe me.

I have an el cheapo receiver I use when I'm in my '65 Scout, since I don't trust the speedometer in that truck. It's the yellow eTrex with the low-resolution display, I believe I paid $89.95 at Target (and of course saw it for $79.95 on special next week).

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Reply to
dmtaurus