95 Taurus Stalling/Starting Problems

Last week my car didnít turn over or start, for the first time. A guy from where I was at, banged on something right under the front fender, and it started after that.
Next morning, same thing happened, so I repeated what he did, and it started. Car ran fine for awhile(started w/ no problem off and on), then as I was ready to turn at an interesection, it stalled and quit. Restarted it 4 or 5 times, before I was able to get it around the corner. Since then, when I try to start it, it will start but will quit after a few seconds. The check engine and battery lights are still lit after it quits. Whatís going on?
‚úĖ
On 24 Mar 2005 19:47:14 -0500, sunset76

Check engine and battery lights being on when the ignition is on but the engine is not running is not unusual (batt light is always on in that circumstance, or should be).
It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of working on a Taurus. It sounds like a starter solenoid is going bad (I'm assuming that's what you're hitting with a hammer)?
When repairs start involving a hammer the diagnostics get somewhat more difficult.
Provide us with some more details. Fuel level. frequency of operation, battery, plugs condition. idle rpm in gear. how long you've owned it. How long it's been repaired exclusively with a hammer. etc.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"email name" wrote: > On 24 Mar 2005 19:47:14 -0500, sunset76
> > >Last week my car didnít turn over or start, for the first > time. A guy > >from where I was at, banged on something right under the > front fender, > >and it started after that. > >Next morning, same thing happened, so I repeated what he did, > and it > >started. > >Car ran fine for awhile(started w/ no problem off and on), > then as I > >was ready to turn at an interesection, it stalled and quit. > Restarted > >it 4 or 5 times, before I was able to get it around the > corner. > >Since then, when I try to start it, it will start but will > quit after > >a few seconds. The check engine and battery lights are still > lit after > >it quits. > >Whatís going on? > > Check engine and battery lights being on when the ignition is > on but > the engine is not running is not unusual (batt light is always > on in > that circumstance, or should be). > > It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of working on a > Taurus. > It sounds like a starter solenoid is going bad (I'm assuming > that's > what you're hitting with a hammer)? > > When repairs start involving a hammer the diagnostics get > somewhat > more difficult. > > Provide us with some more details. > Fuel level. frequency of operation, battery, plugs condition. > idle > rpm in gear. how long you've owned it. How long it's been > repaired > exclusively with a hammer. etc.
All I know, is that it will run when I start it for only 1 or 2 seconds, then it will stop. I tried to check the battery connections, wiring, and whatever else I could try to, but iím not sure what iím exactly looking at either, other than the obvious things. The fluids are fine, just had two head gaskets changed, an oil and fuel filter change, a pcb filter, and I am low on gas because that light is also lit, but I just put $5.00 in, and I only drove about 25 miles, so I should have atleast a gallon of gas left. I bought this car very impulsively because a friend told me that her brother was selling the car, and that it was beautiful and nothing was wrong with it. So I was real stupid, fell for it and I didnít take the car to have it checked out before I bought it, because I felt intimidated by the seller being my friendís brother. Now I have contacted the DMV, and they are currently investigating my complaint for the car, but I donít know what to do. I donít have much money because iím on a disability income, and I donít have any friends who work on cars. So I will be stuck going to a garage, so I can use all the help I can get from you guys to see if I can do anything myself first. Heck, iíll even change the starter myself if someone wants to coach me through it!
‚úĖ
the first thing i would do is get some gas in it. it is very likley out of gas. these days, $5 is only 2.1/2- 2.3/4 gallons, and if you drove 25 miles, i would say you are out.
wrote:

http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Mecury-95-Taurus-Stalling-Starting-Problems-f topict109089.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pQ1163
Add pictures here