95 Thunderbird fuel pump

I just lost my 95 T-Bird in a total loss accident last week. Luckily everyone was OK. That car was in almost showroom condition and I'll never get anywhere close to it’s worth to me from insurance. My wife had just
filled the fuel tank and I want to get that fuel out. Any idea how to short out the fuel pump so it will pump continuously? My repair manual talks about grounding the FT terminal on the DLC (Data Link Connector). Since there is no other reference in the book I assume it's the OBDII connector under the glove box. Other than just randomly grounding out each pin does anyone know which it is or if this is the connector they are referring to?
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.ford / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
BudRob600 wrote:

There are some pumps that you can buy that will will pump the gas through the filler tube. You might be able to use one of these.
Jeff
Try inserting an extra long hose into the tank then place you thumb over the end of the hose. Pull the hose out around two foot more than it takes to reach a container on the ground. Place the end of the hose into the container and release your thumb. The laws of physics will empty the tank for you ;)

Maybe you got massive frame damage and a true "total", I dunno ...
They thought my '94 'Boid (nursed, with 55k mi.) was totaled some years ago. Turned out it wasn't.
I would look hard and long at any total value the ins. offers. If they just pull a # out of a blue book, talk to 'em. If the car is repairable, at worst, you should be able to negotiate a reasonable settlement, perhaps even a buy-back of the damaged 'Boid.
Siphon has already been explained. :-)
Puddin'
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:46:06 -0500, "BudRob600"
wrote:

"Blues starts to rolling ... stops at my front do'. I'm gonna change my way of livin' ... won't have to worry no mo'." - from "Blues Before Sunrise", Leroy Carr, maybe 1934
"BudRob600" wrote

Forget the computer. Open the trunk. Find the "Inertia cutoff switch", probably hiding behind a small hole in one of the interior panels. It's the one that trips when you get rear-ended. Unplug the switch. Run a fused wire (20a) from the battery to the Green/yellow wire in the plug. The pump should now happily hum until the battery is dead.
Thanks for all the advice. The frame is bent, the top buckled, it's done. The fuel tank is centered under the car and the fill hole is on the right rear fender. The filler pipe has several 90 deg turns making it virtually impossible to do a siphon. My only two options are to drop the tank or pump it out with the on board fuel pump. Masterblaster, will running 12v to the "Inertia cutoff switch" bypass the pressure relays in the system? The fuel pump will pump for about 4 sec when the ignition is first turned on but will only continue as long as the engine is actually turning over. I thought I could just keep turning over the engine but the starter will never last long enough to pump out the whole tank. Looking at how to test the fuel pump in the repair manual it talks about grounding that FT terminal so that seemed to be the best way.
The engine fired right up first time I tried. Any thoughts on the value of a 4.6 LT V8 with about 130K. Ran smooth, no leaks, no issues. It may be worth much more than the salvage value.
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.ford / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
Can you get the fuel out via gravity by opening up the fuel plumbing at the fuel filter under the front passengers door or is this too slow for you ?

Keep the engine, tranny & that all expensive precious gasoline & scrap the rest.
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:08:12 -0500, "BudRob600"

Just my opinion, but if you are going to scrap the car, and the tank is obviously still good if it holds gas, I'd stack boards under the tank, cut the straps and hoses, and slowly pull out the boards until the tank is on the ground. Then you can get the gas into containers in many ways. You'll also have a fuel tank and pump to sell on an online auction for someone that needs it. As far as finding what the engine is worth. look on ebay and other sites like it. I'm no fan of ebay, and personally I would not sell it on there, but I'm just suggesting it to find what others sell for. You WILL get more parting out any car than you will for salvage. You just got to find a buyer. Someone always needs a running engine. Maybe the transmission is still good too?
Just my opinion!
like someone said, you have to run 12v to the inertia switch, it powers the pump directly. Please be carefull playing with electrical sparks and gas fumes seams a bit dangerous :)

MasterBlaster had it right, worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.ford / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Lowest part of the tank, punch.It has do be drained and recycled seperatly anyway. Have several oil change pans within reach. NO open flames. wws
Keep two friends nearby, one with a finger on the 911 button and the other with a video camera at the ready so you can send a copy to AFV as well, if you are doing it in your garage. Gasoline should only be paced in containers that control vapors. ;)