95 Thunderbird will not idle

Car ran great but after sitting overnight it will start but will not idle. Starts right up and runs as long as fuel is supplied with the pedal but stalls when the pedal is released. Seems to have a lot of slack in the throttle cable at the throttle body but I see no mention of throttle cable adjustments or springs in my repair manual. What could have possibly happened while parked overnight ? Any ideas ?

Reply to
BudRob600

The most likely cause is a gummed up IAC (Idle Air Control). Easily removed and cleaned or replaced if necessary. Look for the silver cylindrical object attached to the side of the intake manifold by two hex head screws. There will be one electrical connector on the end. Take it off, look inside. It will be black and gummy in the air passages. You can try cleaning it with valve body cleaner or just replace it (~$60).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks for the reply, I saw your same reply about the van a few minutes after I posted my question. I read something about the IAC in the repair manual this morning and will give that a try.

BR

Reply to
BudRob600

Ford IAC failures seems to be an epidemic. I wonder what has changed in the last few years? Ford has been using basically the same style IAC for at least 15 years. I never had one fail until two years ago. However in the last three years my family members have had 4 fail (1 Grand Marquis, 1 Mustang, 1 Escape, 1 Ranger). Plus the guy next to me at work had one fail on a Grand Marquis as well.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You never mentioned which engine you have.

My 3.8 v6 had an idle from 0 to 2000 rpm and it was easy to fix. The idle speed solenoid sits on top of the air inlet. and has a couple of wires going to it. In my case the electrically operated plunger was sticking in the housing.

Mine also had a absolute stop screw that prevents the throttle from closing completely. As a quick fix I disconnected the idle solenoid and adjusted the positive stop 2 or 3 turns and it idled at 800 to 1000 rpm all week just fine. I put it back after I picked up a new solenoid.

Reply to
bob in ny

It was definately the IAC. I pulled it and cleaned it with Carb and Choke cleaner, re-installed it and checked all connections. It started right up and idled normally. I'll just buy another and replace it since my wife drives this car and I don't need any emergency phone calls from her. It took a few minutes to find the AIC with it being behind the throttle body making it a little tough to get to. Bob, you're right, I did forget to say the engine is a 4.6 lt. I appreciate the help from all. Glad I found this forum.

Reply to
BudRob600

See:

Sharon K.Cooke