95 TOWN CAR SPEED CONTROL INTERMITTENT--WHAT TO LOOK FOR ?

FOR ALL THESE YEARS AND MILES, THE SPEED CONTROL ALWAYS WORKED EVERY TIME. NO "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT (EXCEPT AT START UP, OF COURSE).
WHAT IS THE MOST LIKELY CULPRIT(S) HERE? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR
HELP!
On 27 Sep 2006 07:19:27 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com"

Do your brake lights work? The brake light switch is a bit fragile on them. Also, make sure the lamps are functional. If you ever have a problem removing it from PARK, it is most likely the brake light switch.
Lugnut
thanks again, lugnut !
What do you mean by "problem removing it from PARK?"
lugnut wrote:

On 27 Sep 2006 21:35:57 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com"

Sometimes, when the brake light switch is going bad you may have to step on the brake again to release the shift lever from park. One other common problem with cruise is a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) going bad. This may show up in a code scan or a jumpy/late starting speedometer or, may not be noticeable to you at all. Some of that vintage cruise control also had a problem with the cable in the control disconnecting. There was a TSB on that at one time. I do not have a copy or reference number for it. Maybe some else here has it by chance.
Lugnut

Thanks, lugnut !
The brake light works fine, no problem releasing from Park, speedo seems to work fine (electronic). Where does one find the cable in the control? Recently replaced the neutral safety switch/range sensor at the transmission, worked fine before and after that. I replaced that sensor because one could be cruising at highway speeds with the cruise on then suddently the car would go craze, rev high, harsh downshift, etc. Had had this same problem with my 95 Continental, and it was that same sensor.
Fred