95 uk fiesta steering prob.

Last night my steering on my fiesta suddenly got a lot heavier and wouldn't re-centre on it's own. As my car doesn't have power steering, straight away
I thought it might be a soft tyre but all the pressures checked out so it must be something more serious. Any ideas?
TIA
hiya,
check the bottom ball joints jack the car securely and try to find any movement at the roadwheels.
Thanks mate, though it turned out to be a worn univeral joint.