95 Windstar temp gauge erratic

My 95 Windstar has 120,000 miles and the temperature gauge is erratic. It never reads high but kinda jumps around real fast and actually goes kinda low. The head gaskets were replaced at 70,000 miles and I had the water pump
replaced last year. I always lose some antifreeze and top up the overflow container every once in a while. The gauge has been erratic now for a couple of years and like I said it never goes high. Any idea what might cause this?
Andy
Most likely a loose connection at the sender.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:01:26 GMT, "Andrew Pottle"

Hi Andy,
I too have a 95 Windstar, do you have the 3.8l as well?
My dash temp gauge is also flopping around all over the place intermittently. Like your's, mine never's reads over-temp.
I attached an OBD-2 monitoring computer to the system, and watched the internal computer generated engine temperature, and this reading is constant and passes the "reality / common sense test"
I believe the computer temp and dash temp gauge use two different sending units. I've played with both and don't see any obvious problems. (Btw, I think the dash sending unit is the one with just a single wire on it..)
I'm starting to suspect the actual dash temp gauge as the culprit, but since I haven't replaced the sending unit it could be that or the connector / wiring still..
In any event, your not alone, and if I ever get around to solving this problem, I'll update the list.
Take Care, James Lerch http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

sender or has a fair amount of corrosion. It's not likely the gauge its self.

Where can I find the temp gauge sender under the hood on the 3.8L
It's the single wire sensor close to the thermostat.