95torus transmission

it is locked in park and and can,t get it out. Have tried verything i can think of from rocking the car seat belts tapping the linkage any ideas how
to get it out?
Do your brake lights work?

im not sure my daughter is out of town with it but what would the brake lites have to do with it
There is a shift interlock that prevents moving the shifter out of park without applying the brakes.... If the fuse or brake light switch is bad.........

i cant reach her now but it wont shift with the brake on or not on

The problem is most likely the brake light circuit, and caused by either a bad switch or the wire into the switch connector breaking at the connector.
follow the arm up from the pedal and you'll see the switch assy straddle the pin connecting the brake arm to the brake push rod.
tug the two wires in the harness, good chance one of them will come loose. Remove just the connector to fix.
Otherwise to replace the switch, pull the 'hairpin' and slide the push rod and switch to the end so that outer part of sw bracket clears the end, then push up on the switch assy (other side of bracket is cut as a "U")
Mind the location of the spacer/washers.
dhp53 wrote:

To move the car, put the vehicle in neutral before turning the key to "on" or "start". Start it and drive away normally.
Rob

that would work if he could actually get it out of park dimwit, reading his original post wouldve helped you not sound like an idiot now
Shawn wrote:

Uh, Shawn, The problem seems to be that the shift interlock is not releasing. It is not "locked" until the key is in the RUN position. If the key is turned to the UNLOCKED position, the shifter can then be moved to Neutral. The car can then be started and driven normally. trainfan was telling him HOW to get it out of park with a malfunctioning interlock.
Shawn wrote:

Do you know me? While I've never called anyone names on usenet, and won't, I came close today!
You know not of what you speak... believe me, my method will work. Read s-l-o-w-l-y... to move the car, put the vehicle in neutral BEFORE turning the key to "on" or "start"(this is done with the key in the UNLOCK position). Start it and drive away normally.
Rob

gotcham my apologies