96 3.0L Ranger

I have a 1996 Ranger. The check engine continues to comes on. The code reads as a faulty EGR valve. I've replaced it twice as well as the O2 sensors and still no luck. Any ideas????

Reply to
orlock

snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net wrote in news:1124034488.364132.37330 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Yeah... quite shooting the messengers and innocent bystanders.

WHEN You DONT freakin include either the code or even what they are interpreted as by 'whoever' read them out, how is anyone here supposed to help?!!!!!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

OK.... How about: PO401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Reply to
orlock

snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net wrote in news:1124035831.712761.265890 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

EXACTLY!

Start the engine with the EGR valve OFF the engine. Should be healthy flow through that little pipe to the manifold!

Read up on DPFE.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I did try strarting the engine while I had it off and it would not start.

Reply to
orlock

snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net wrote in news:1124036274.285002.242240 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Sorry, I SHOULD have mentioned you have to cover the egr port to intake, of course.

If you find that tube to the exhaust, OR a DPFE port, is blocked, I suggest you change Gasoline suppliers.

AND/Or quit running premium

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The tube to the exhaust and the DPFE Ports are flowing just fine. However, while the engine was idling I disconnected the vacuum line going to the EGR valve and noticed that was not much vacuum going to the valve at idle. Do you think it might be the EVR has gone bad and sending enough vacuum to open the valve?

Reply to
orlock

snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net wrote in news:1124038573.465132.227610 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Could be but it doesnt take much vacuum, as there's not really any flow.

BUT that still doesnt rule out a (the) DPFE (or PFE) sensor port itself being blocked.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I removed the DPFE Sensor and also checked the lines running to the riser tube from the exhaust. The rubber lines are clear and free of cracks. The sensor had a little crusty buildup around the larger of the two inlet tubes. I cleaned it and looked inside the inlet tubes. I sprayed some carb cleaner inside the inlet tubes and re-assembled everything, disconnected/reconnected the battery and went for a test drive. The check engine light seemed to come on quicker this time than it did from the last time. So, I guess it sounds like the DPFE sensor may be bad.

Reply to
orlock

snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net wrote in news:1124043192.120182.196920 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Scratch head....

At least you're bulldog!

I wont ask if you're sure the tubes are connected to their proper respective ports.

Try a salvage yard for a test DPFE and EVR replacement. Dont clean it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Most likely, very common problem. Sounds like you checked everything pretty well.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

The DPFE Sensor was the problem. Thanks to everyone to chimed in to assist me in this problem.

Reply to
orlock