'96 Contour: problem begets problem...

...I was having problems with the driver's door window, which was no doubt due to either the gear on the window motor or the regulator... and then someone breaks into the car THROUGH that window overnight,
before I was going to try to fix it. So, the obvious: the window motor problems have to be fixed before the window itself can be replaced, right?
- bill, already trying to get tomorrow afternoon off so he can go hit a salvage yard
Bill Crawford wrote:

contour its the wire cable that is probably frayed and not letting the cable make a complete go around that was stopping the window from moving... to fix it on the passenger side(power windows) on our 96 contour i had to take the whole door apart and pull the glass out to remove the regulator... went to dealer and $120 shorter got a new one.. i tried to get a new cable, went to m/c and biclylce shops and still cold not find what i needed.. and then i was still gonna try to repair it.. i got a small metal cutting lathe and can repair just about anything, but making parts for the metal cable did not work for me.... without the Haynes book on the contour from auto zone about $12.00 i would never had ever gotten the door trim off (alot different than other cars).... hope this helps...

They probably can be fixed at the same time. Plus it would save on labor (for both repair the door has to come apart.
I think either one can be fixed first, though.
Jeff

This is kind of an aside, but...I've been told in a couple of places that some sort of gear may have broken, and that's all I need to fix to get the window working once it's replaced. I'm staring at a new (used) window regulator and motor, and the only thing that looks like a gear is the white wheel on one end of it. Is THAT this gear, or is it a completely different part that isn't attached to either the motor or the regulator?
- bill, still waiting on the glass people (stupid deductible...)
Look at it from the bright side Bill - had it been me, I'm absolutely sure that the other window had been broken, or the guy had broken in the night after I had it fixed :)
Soren
Bill Crawford wrote:

--
Fjern de 4 bogstaver i min mailadresse som er indsat for at hindre s...
Remove the 4 letter word meaning "junk mail" in my mail address.