96 Crown Vic 4.6 engine problem

New to the group so hope this hasn't been talked to death.
Recently inherited this car and the check engine light is on and has been for several yrs but dad would never have it checked out.
Engine codes say the problem is engine is running lean on both banks. No other codes showing up. Engine seems to run OK except sometimes I notice a slight hesitation when taking off from a stop sign. This is a new engine for me so not too sure where to begin. My thought is with both banks reporting same condition it is unlikely a bad injector. Most likely problem has to do with sensor/component shared by both banks.
My thoughts are: * Could it be engine is running OK but some subsystem isn't working up to spec?
* O2 sensor working well enough to not be reported as a problem but may be reporting engine is running rich so computer is leaning out.
* Low fuel pressure on the fuel rail. Gage reading is low 30's and I'm thinking it should be closer to 40 PSI. At this point not sure how accurate gage is. Disconnecting the vac hose on the pressure reg does raise the pressure 6-8 PSI.
* Possibly either throttle position sensor or MAP/air flow sensor not working up to spec.
Anyone got a bone to throw me as to possible cause? If I get this resolved, is there an easy way to reset the computer other than disconnect the battery?
TIA
Mickey
If you can pull engine codes with an OBDII reader, the SAME reader can do a re-set of the engine controller. CE light on? A lot of times, it's a faulty O2 sensor or two. Low fuel pressure can be caused by a dirty fuel filter; change it. If that doesn't correct the problem, look at the pressure regulator, and finally, the fuel pump.
Mickey wrote:

I would check for vacuum leaks too. Specially the PCV system. Also check EGR system.
Sharon K. Cooke wrote:

What Remo said. There is an egr passage that may need to be cleaned out on hi milers, Look around at the town car sites for directions.
Sharon K. Cooke wrote:

I don't own one of these readers, had the local auto parts store take the reading. Might have them do so again and reset the controller this time.
I think we are on the same page. My thoughts were saying check out the 02 sensor (are there 2?) but had some reservations as to why no O2 code was present. Was thinking that low fuel pressure could possible be filter and purchased one today but have not had time to replace. If that didn't improve pressure, the regulator was next on my list. Know what pressure you should be seeing when vac line is removed from the regulator? Was hoping that going all the way back to the pump wouldn't be necessary but who knows.
Got a fair amount of experience on the 3L Taurus and 460 Ford but nothing on this engine. Was wanting to inquire if there was something I wasn't aware of and should be checking.
Mickey