96 Crown Vic Oil Gauge

I have a 96 Crown Vic Police car. The car sat for about 7 months and when i went to start it the other day, it started right up, but the oil pressure gauge took a long time to come up, and when i went around a turn, the gauge "flickered", and went down, then came back up. Now, sonce I restarted the car, the gauge is dead, and wont come up. The thing that really confuses me is that I drove the car 50 miles like this and the engine doesnt make a sound, in terms of an engine not having oil anyway. It runs fine and starts up, but the gauge says a have zero oil pressure. Then all of a sudden it will shoot up like nothing's wrong, then go back down. I'm really nervous, anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
john

Sharon K.Cooke

either the sending unit is bad , or the oil pump pickup is cloged

Reply to
Falcoon

Reply to
john

Most likely the sender is bad.....It can go bad just from age......

Reply to
Scott M

Or the wiring between the sender and gauge is bad.

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

If it's a mechanical gauge, the gauge is bad. If it's an electric gauge, the sender is bad.

Reply to
Mark