96 Crown Vic Oil Gauge

I have a 96 Crown Vic Police car. The car sat for about 7 months and when i went to start it the other day, it started right up, but the oil pressure gauge took a long time to come up, and when i went around a turn, the gauge
"flickered", and went down, then came back up. Now, sonce I restarted the car, the gauge is dead, and wont come up. The thing that really confuses me is that I drove the car 50 miles like this and the engine doesnt make a sound, in terms of an engine not having oil anyway. It runs fine and starts up, but the gauge says a have zero oil pressure. Then all of a sudden it will shoot up like nothing's wrong, then go back down. I'm really nervous, anyone have any ideas?
Change out the sending unit, near the oil filter.
john wrote:

either the sending unit is bad , or the oil pump pickup is cloged
but wouldnt that make the engine sound like its starving for oil..and secondly, could the sending unit just go bad from sitting?

On 08 Feb 2004 21:20:51 GMT, Falcoon wrote:

Or the wiring between the sender and gauge is bad.
--
\begin
Disclaimer:

If it's a mechanical gauge, the gauge is bad. If it's an electric gauge, the sender is bad.