96 ESCORT 1.9 AUTO TRANSMISSION--FIX OR REPLACE WITH USED ???

I'm a moderately skillled mechanic, 51 years old. The car moves in 1st and reverse only (if you put the shifter in 1, not in D). The fluid is black, the previous owner purportedly had gotten it stuck. I don't want to buy a used transmission that is on the way out. So, am I better off personally repairing the one I have, since it has to come out of the car anyway?

Please, I would really appreciate comments from skilled Ford or automatic transmission mechanics only. For example, do I need expensive special tools to replace the necessary parts? Thanks.

Reply to
septicman

septicman

Let me guess you want to rebuild the original one and save money? Well kudos to you I can appreciate that. But get a salvage transmission from a j/y and put that one in, and then while you're on borrowed time figure out how to rebuild the original one. I'm not a qualified Ford mechanic, probably just a guy like you who thinks he can save money working on cars. Sometimes I'm wrong. Good luck

Reply to
sleepdog

If your gonna do the work to pull the tranny I would get it rebuilt or exchange it for a reman. unit. Not worth the effort of putting in a junkyard trans in to find out it's crap, yeah they will give you another but it isn't like doing a rear wheel drive cars tranny. Yeah I'm a do it yourself cheapskate but some jobs you only want to do once.

Reply to
Repairman

Thanks for your help. I just bought a guaranteed used transmission from a salvage yard for only $50 !! They are getting rid of all their older stuff and are moving the stuff out. Also just bought a used automatic transmission for my 95 Contour for only $ 150 from the same place !!

Nonetheless, I want to take the bad one apart and learn how to do the work--as small as those transmissions are, it simply cannot be a bid deal to take it apart, located the bad parts, and replace them for say up to $150 in parts...

How else does > Let me guess you want to rebuild the original one and save money? Well

Reply to
septicman

If you have the time. Do it.

It's always fun working on cars, at least for me.

I'm 64 and loving it.

Hank

Reply to
Hank