96 escort automatic hard shift

Seems like sometime the tranny will really kick into second rather then glide dosen't matter when hot, cold , barley gas , flooring it. I just got the car 63k original miles fluid was real dirty had it changed and filter.
Do other auto escorts shift kind of jerky? Do I get a second tranny flush? is there an additive that helps