96 Escort Clutch Replacement

My brother and I are planning on replacing the clutch on my 96 Escort

1.9L. Chilton mentions installing installing transaxle plugs (T88C-7025-AH) between the differential side gears to avoid misalignment. Is this part mandatory for this job or are they just being overly cautious? Any advice is appreciated

Thank

Matt.

Reply to
Matt Sheldon

Just use a wooden dowel that fits into the holes. Chiltons and Haynes recommended the same thing when I did the clutch on my 1990 GT, but I didn't need them. The side gears never moved. I think in some of the older MTX trannys the side gears would move and it's been a precaution ever since.

Reply to
sleepdog