96 Escort Clutch Replacement

My brother and I are planning on replacing the clutch on my 96 Escort 1.9L. Chilton mentions installing installing transaxle plugs (T88C-7025-AH) between the differential side gears to avoid
misalignment. Is this part mandatory for this job or are they just being overly cautious? Any advice is appreciated
Thank
Matt.

Just use a wooden dowel that fits into the holes. Chiltons and Haynes recommended the same thing when I did the clutch on my 1990 GT, but I didn't need them. The side gears never moved. I think in some of the older MTX trannys the side gears would move and it's been a precaution ever since.