96 Escort Transmission

I have a 1996 Ford Escort hatchback automatic with 192,500 miles on it. Just recently I started having an issue with the transmission. It seems that when accelerating, it misses 3rd gear until I let up on the
throttle, at which point it finally upshifts. This is under normal acceleration, nothing hard/fast. It doesn't happen every time, but most of the time. Would it do any good to replace the transmission fluid or is it pretty much done for?
Doug
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It could be "done for" if you keep driving it. Check for trouble codes in the computer first. Then take it to a reputable transmission repair shop. You might be able to save the transmission if you haven't put too many miles on it since the shift problem started.