96 Ford\Cougar Plastic Intake Manifold Replacement

Some time ago ,I read about owners of the 4.6 liter engine having problems with their (plastic runner) intake manifold. Either with a leak developing behind the
alternator or a crack due to not being supported by the alternator bracket assembly.I have personally seen on that had a hole in the runner or water carrier.I don't know the exact nomenclature or mechanical name for these parts) I am interested in any information related to this manifold.I have discovered that there was a recall in Mar. 1999 for replacement, and I have heard that there is a class action lawsuit presently ongoing.This applies to all vehicles with this particular engine.(T-Bird,Cougar Towncar and Crown Victoria) I believe the failure of this manifold has caused a lot of different problems,some very expensive. I will surely appreciate you knowledge or experience on this subject.Also,if you can give me some helpful links or other direct information I will be very thankful.
Try here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm
Tom F.

I doubt any court will find for a class action when the manufacture has agreed to repair a defect for free. The problem resulted when the manifold manufacture made a change to the part. ALL 4.6 V8 engines in all models, build between certain build dates, that have that part can and are being repaired free of charge for up to seven years or 100K by Ford. Take you car to a dealer and see if the one you own is involved in the recall. Many manufactures of port fuel injected engines use plastic manifolds today, since they merely distribute air.
mike hunt