96 Ford Escort

The speedometer in my Escort does not work anymore once the speed goes over 15mph. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how expensive to fix?

The liftgate supports do not last forever, replace them. And they don't work as well in cold weather. They may not be easy to find as most people never replace them, even when they go bad. They are not particularly cheap either.
On 3 Dec 2003 05:57:33 -0800, Childfree Scott wrote:

Advance Auto Parts has quite a variety in the rack. They run about 15-20 USD a piece. Replacing them is quite easy, if you get someone to hold the gate up while you work. Another option, Advance has a prop device for $8 apiece that clips onto the piston. When you lift the gate, manually rotate the prop so it prevents the piston from sliding back down.
As for myself, I'm glad my BroncoII has the rear-mounted spare tire to prop the liftgate up :-). (I don't want to spend the money on that right now, so I make do with the tire. Too bad the extra from my Dad's Astro has the wrong end.)
-D
--
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

Las time I was looking the cheaper ones were usually for hoods. The ones for liftgates went for as much as $50 each, and you need 2 of them. I'm not sure how much I paid for the ones I eventually bought, as it was in 1993 or so.

This option sounds like a pain in the ass.