96 Ford Explorer - chugging along

I've purchased a 96 Explorer with 128000KM and have been experiencing a problem since the drive home that first day. When the vehicle is warm (driven for 15 - 20 minutes), I can't seem to pull away from a stop without the engine bucking, almost stalling. As this is happening, the "CHECK ENGINE" light comes on. It's very dangerous with wife and kids along for the ride. I've taken it to a FORD dealer and, of course, the technician can't get the problem to re-create and no "codes" appear for him. They kept it for 2 days, he didn't experience it once !@#$%
Last night, I replaced the fuel filter (cheapest of possible problems) and today things were the same, or worse.
Any suggestions? jw
if the light is on, there must be a memory code. What happens if you floor it? If it takes off fast at a higher throttle than you normally use, I would look at the TPS.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Last night, I replaced the fuel filter (cheapest of possible problems) and today things were the same, or worse.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Any suggestions?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>jw</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR>---<BR>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.<BR>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A href="http://www.grisoft.com ">http://www.grisoft.com </A>).<BR>Version: 6.0.735 / Virus Database: 489 - Release Date: 8/6/2004</FONT></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
1. dont post in html in newsgroups
2. have the memory codes read out
- wth didnt the ford tech do that?
I doubt it's the TPS... intermittent as it is, probably a wiring fault. Frequently a bad wiring harness ground near the ECA... (computer)
do you have starting problems? I think there must be other symptoms.
I'm told the "tech" did check for codes but, there weren't any. The CHECK ENGINE light is coming on as the vehicle stumbles (almost stalling) then goes off when the engine recovers... this will go on for about 5 - 10 seconds, then everything seems fine. It only seems to happen when the engine is warm. There are no other symptoms that I can tell.
Where would I find this ECA and or TPS on a 96 explorer?

Where are you?
Posting via Shaw with a canada.com address. Could you be in Edmonton?
If you are, I can recommend a good independent mechanic, or scan your codes for you (there HAS to be something in memory if the check engine light came on) or send you to a friend of mine who will attempt to figure out the problem without charging you shop rates.
My guess would be fuel pump....
Eric
The idea of "fuel pump" has crossed my mind as well. Would this be affected by the temp? or how long the vehicle has been running? The engine runs great otherwise - idle, cruising, etc. is fine. I'm stumped.

codes
came
Yes, the fuel pump performance would be affected by temperature. I once had a Jetta that ran fine around town and wouldn't strt cutting out until being on the highway for about an hour - it was a faulty fuel pump. (Very convenient - breaking down about an hour away from anywhere :) )

Eric Janzen opined in

i resolve situations like that by only driving a half hour out, then a half hour back.
;)