96 Fuel oxygen sensor related to alternator voltage

I bought my 96 escort last year and I findly got around to installing new spark plugs and wires. But my fuel economy is any better. I think my escort may not have the orignal alternator. My regulator went a few months back the one out of the book didn't work. I had to match the bad one up. I'm sure if the alternator is not the right one and it is putting out a higher or low voltage that my all my sensor could be off. Does anyone know that this is a fact and how I can check my alternator to see if I have the correct one. Thanks Tower

Reply to
Tower

Highly unlikely that your sensors would be affected by the system voltage, whether it's properly regulated or not. In virtually all vehicles the sensors run off a separately regulated reference voltage - typically 5V. By the way, the oxygen sensor makes its own voltage (it's a battery of sorts) and does not require any external supply.

As for your regulator question, if your headlights are bright enough with all the loads that you can think of (A/C, rear defroster, radio, whatever) and don't burn out too quickly, your regulator is probably doing its job. Not familiar with the specifications for your particular vehicle, but in general, here is the semi-scientific method: Take a voltmeter and measure the battery voltage with the engine off (you should see about 12V). Then start the engine, bring it to about 2000 rpm and gradually add load. The voltage should be between 1V (full load) to 2V (no load) above the battery reading with the engine off.

Reply to
Happy Traveler