96 lincoln mark 8 hood won't close

I have a 96 lincoln mark 8 and i cannot close the hood. It seems that the mechanism to close it after it hooks will not push down. It is hard to describe. Can anybody point me to a online reference or have a similar issue?

Reply to
psientist

Pull the release again. Someone accidentally relatched it.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Or the cable may be stiff or frayed and caught in the release position....

One only need use his God given powers of observation...

Reply to
Jim Warman

So the hood latches closed but then you push it down so it stays closes all the way. It latches fine but it does not stay down when you push it down so it is always staying open. We tried pulling the release inside the car and pushing it down and other combinations but the thing will not close all the way. I ask again more clearly, anybody have this issue? It seems maybe the push down spring mechanism is messed up.

Reply to
psientist

Spray the hood final release mechanism (between the headlights) with white lube or silicone spray WHILE working the latch release back & forth, maybe even let the spring load 'snap' it to a return position. That should free the release so the hood will fully latch. Don?t baby the hood; get it past the gas lift support point, and just drop it.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke