96 Lincoln problem (experts needed)

I have a 96 Lincoln Mark 8 LSC 32 valve 4.6 litre. It started running extremely rough the other day and the check engine light flashes constantly. There is a strong sulfuric odor in the passenger
compartment when accelerating.
I have already replaced the spark plugs to no avail. All eight cylinders are receiving spark from the coil, however, when I remove the wire from number 3 it didn't make any difference in the idle. When the wire was removed from any of the other plugs, the car nearly dies. The strange thing is that the coil IS generating spark to number 3. I have replaced the number 3 injector and I still have the problem. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before. I am puzzled. Thanks!

In my experience the plug wire is the most likely cause. They tend to burn through in the boot area and let the spark jump to ground. Bob

As pick one has said, you can try a set of wires.... given the age of the vehicle, they should be changed as preventive maintenance, anyway. The flashing MIL indicates a severe misfire... continuing to drive the car when this occurs can damage the engine and/or the catalytic converter.
HTH

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:31:00 GMT, "Jim Warman"

yup and i bet it will overheat too
hurc ast
Apparently, overheating is not a stated customer concern.... What you really need to do is take that piece of cardboard from behind the grille..... Once you graduate fromt he lube rack, you might be able to afford a peak in the Lund catalogue.
FWIW..... I've seen many plugged cats..... no power - low power - wont rev - wont run - nary an overheat to be seen.