'96 Mystique stalling problem

I have a person unfamiliar with Usenet who is asking me about an issue of I know nothing, so I'd like to ask those here who do.
She's got a '96 Mercury Mystique with 150K miles on it. Up to now, it's not
exhibited any problems, but recently has begun stalling in a manner that suggests the ignition.
So far, the coil, crank sensor and battery have been replaced by professional mechanics. These same mechanics have run out of ideas, and have told her to get a new car.
The car runs fine for about 20 minutes, then stalls. It will usually not restart until she waits about 20 minutes before cranking.
Prior to the parts replacements mentioned above, the car would stall as above, but restart immediately. Apparently it would also occasionally stall, coast, then restart by itself.
The car right now is parked as she does not trust it.
If this were a Honda, I would suspect the igniter, but I don't know how Ford does things. Any suggestions?
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–

An update: Apparently the Check Engine light has come on several times over the weeks and months. The last time the code appears to have been the Crank Angle Sensor, so that part was replaced, but to no good effect.
It is not known what earlier codes were stored.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
TeGGeR® wrote:

To me this suggests a loose connection/bad ground. Not necessarily in the ignition system, either - it could be the fuel pump wiring.
Can you get this problem to happen while the car is idling in the driveway, or does it have to be moving?
Add pictures here
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

The car is somewhere many hundreds of miles from me. The woman who owns it is corresponding with me apparently out of desperation, since she has met with little success from the local help.
I did some Googling on it, and there doesn't seem to be a "magic bullet" type fix, like there is for some Honda problems.
I gave her a few basic suggestions she can pass on to her mechanic (who seems to be shotgunning rather than sleuthing), but there's not much more I can do.
I was hoping some Ford guru would have seen this sort of thing before.
Thanks for responding anyway (you were the only one).
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
WWW.CONTOUR.ORG is the place to look for the contour AND mystique.
I.A.C. valve causes stalling . replace it not clean it. idle air control valve . 2 bolts to remove to replace.
Add pictures here
âś–
<Crossposting re-inserted to ensure continuity of thread; please do not remove>
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (jimmy) wrote in 3151.bay.webtv.net:

I just heard back from the owner. Apparently she's spend $700 on this car so far, but it now appears to be fixed. The mechanic went ahead and replaced the computer, which didn't help of course. Then he "did something with the wires" and now the car is fine. Looks like it was just a bad connection somewhere, as zwsdotcom suggested in the beginning.
Why do so many people assume an engine problem is due to the computer?
--
TeGGeR®

Add pictures here
âś–

The ECM does so many separate and varied tasks, and is rather hard to diagnose competently when the fault is intermittent, that it probably leads to the doom scenario, I think.
Intermittents can be a bitch to find, but you would think that if this car went dead and stayed dead for 20 minutes, it could possibly be diagnosed a bit easier than some of the tough dogs.
Add pictures here
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (jimmy) wrote:

Wrong diagnosis, for symptoms.