96 Ranger fuel filter

I found out that I needed a new fuel filter, finally. Now, I have a new problem. I am familiar with the filters on late model Fords inside the frames, but others that I have replaced have had plastic clips on
both ends. My Ranger had a metal clip on the end toward the engine. I can remove the clip, but, the filter simply will not come out of the line! I have tried prying the line off, twisting the filter, pulling til it hurts, to no avail. Is there a simple way to remove the filter from the line?
Thanks again Steele