'96 Sable service engine light related to fuel level

I have a 1996 Sable. The "service engine soon light" has been coming on and it is related to fuel level. It will come on when the fuel level drops to about half a tank and go
off after a fill up.
Without paying to have the codes read, does anyone have any suggestions?
--
The letter 'Q' has been added to my otherwise valid email address for spam
protection.
Al wrote:

take the car to auto zone and they will do the check engine light test for free.... then come back with the trouble code numbers and post them here.... thanks..
Unfortunately there are no Auto Zones near here and no other place does it for free.(not even for a reasonable charge)
It seems hard to believe the fuel level would have any relation to anything. I was hoping that because of this unusual relationship the problem might be familiar to someone.
On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:02:38 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@sprynet.com"

--
The letter 'Q' has been added to my otherwise valid email address for spam
protection.
Al wrote:

Evap problem - check all fuel supply & return lines, vacuum lines, all fittings for leaks or loose connections, and... check to be sure your gas cap is undamaged and seating/closing tightly.
Rob