96 Sable/Taurus ---> Does speedo inter-relate w trans ???

A local garage put in a used motor in my 96 Sable wagon w V6 Duratec. It's shifting very erratically. I also noticed that the speedometer is not working. Are these two problems inter-related? Or just 2
independent problems. I used to have an 85 Chevy and when the speedo went bad, I had all kinds of other problems with the car.

Yes.
VSS, and that garage should know that it's critical to proper operation.
The job, therefore is not complete.