96 Taurus 24V - engine noise

Hi, I haven't found any posts in this newsgroup with engine problem I have with my 96 Taurus LX Wagon (255k kms0k miles) There is some srtange noise coming from a valve cover of rear bank of cylinders.
I checked it with my stethoscope: the noise is not regular - like couple of small stones inside but, what is strange for me - this doesn't change engine's rpms. Engine works smoothly. It looks for me like a camshaft has too much play. Bought Haynes manual to confirm this - but it did not- but it says that there is a "sevice limit" for camshaft play. How hard is this to repair? Any other ideas? please help Gregory beside this problem my Taurus is going very strong, no problems with a transmission, heater etc. Maybe because of scheduled maintenace. Only weak points in this car are ball joints - changed them maybe five times already.

Go to www.taurusclub.com and join up. You'll find lots of information on that site and lots of Taurus owners willing to help.
Jimbo