'96 Taurus LX Engine Problem

I just bought a 1996 Taurus LX wagon about a month ago and took a road trip Memorial Day weekend with a couple of friends. It was someone else's turn to drive and accidentally they put the gearshift into 2nd
gear instead of D and drove about 15 miles at 5000 rpm and the engine overheated. I did not notice until it was redlined (it was storming so there was a lot of noise everywhere) and then we pulled over but the damage was already done. When I got it towed to the shop they told me that I need a new engine on it since it had cracked due to having been stressed too much.
My question here is whether it's worth it to replace the engine (about $1000 + some shipping for an engine with 55k and $400 labor) or whether to try to part it out. I bought the car used (127k) for about $2000. I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I can try to sell parts off of it (if there is even a market) or just take it to the junkyard and accept the $100 for it. My main question is whether the investment would actually be worthwhile in the end. I'm in college so I'd prefer to fix if possible since a new(er) car would probably start costing me around $3000 or so but I don't want to risk the $1400 and then have a car that needs constant fixing. Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have a '92 Taurus wagon my father gave me after my mother died that has cost me much more in repairs than it was worth. OTOH, there's "worth" and there's "worth". The value of the car, even after repairs probably doesn't justify the cost of those repairs. Then again, what's the car worth to *you*?
Even if the hull value were only $500, where else are you going to get wheels that can haul so much crap and still get around 30 mpg for $1400? Buying another clunker offers you no guarantees it won't be a hangar queen.
I assume you blew the head gasket on a 3.8 liter engine. Is there any possibility of replacing it with a 3 liter engine instead? Ford's 3 liter is pretty much bulletproof whereas the 3.8 liter is prone to head gasket failure. Then all you have to sweat is the transmission. <G>
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Jun 26, 5:48 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Unless it's a very late '95 that's titled as a '96 (which Ford has been known to do, like others) it should have a 3.0 liter motor. 1995 was the last year for the 3.8 in the Taurus. Probably the best preventive here is to stop letting a friend drive the car.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

$1000 is too much. Those engines are a dime a dozen. You could even find an entire parts car, with good engine, transmission, tires and more, for around $800.00 in the classifieds or craigslist.
Look here for an engine near you:
http://car-part.com /
If this is a VIN "U" 3.0, you should be just fine with a 100k - 125K miles engine to save even more.
Rob
The question should be, is it cost effective to pay that much money, over 50% of the value, on a car worth $2,000? Why not invest in another $2,000 car?
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

No.
There are other options.
Rob

trainfan1 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/96-97-FORD-TAURUS-3-0-OHV-GASOLINE-ENGINE-MOTOR_W0QQitemZ320126773559QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/96-97-FORD-TAURUS-3-0-OHV-GASOLINE-ENGINE-MOTOR_W0QQitemZ320126773559QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-FORD-3-0-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ110142181519QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/96-97-FORD-TAURUS-Mercury-Sable-3-0-Engine-M010D_W0QQitemZ280021094703QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Bob
-
Look at it this way... I have seen folks with old cars spend more on monthly repairs that what payments on a new car would be..... I desparately try to advise against beating a dead horse... but what do I know? People assign pet names to their cars... after that, it is like I was suggesting they have their dog (or cat) put down....
This thing is over 10 years old and will never have more than diddly for a resale value.... If you choose to have the engine repaired/replaced.... spend a few bucks to have the rest of the car inspected first....