96 Taurus - "O/D Off" Flashing

I have a 96 Taurus (DOHC) that displays a flashing "O/D Off" message from the time I put it in gear until the time I shut it off. I can drive down the road and press the O/D Off switch and it downshifts as I would expect. I woul dexpect the light to be on solid if I had disabled the O/D. Why is the light flashing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
sdf

sdf opined in news:fE28d.316284$Fg5.180352@attbi_s53:

It means the PowertrainControl Module (computer) sees a problem with the trans... have the codes read out

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic